- Blog Post Introduce yourself and your views of 21st century education and how technology might be used in the classroom based on what you read, watched and your own experience.
Aloha mai katou! I am Jamie "Tia" Koerte from the beautiful west side of Kauai. Born and raised in sunny Kekaha on homestead lands, I am of half Niihau and half "Haole" ancestry. I graduated from UH Manoa in 2007 with a B.A. in Hawaiian Studies with an emphasis in Hawaiian Language. Since I was a young girl I knew I wanted to be an educator. It was only after graduating from Manoa that I realized I wanted to educate Hawaiian children. Growing up in the middle to low class in a small community doesn't always pose an abundance of opportunities. I was determined to make something of myself and return home to "give back" to my ohana and community who helped in shaping me into the person I am today.
Upon graduation in 2007 I was blessed with a job opportunity at my alma mater, Waimea High School, teaching Hawaiian Language. Returning to my alma mater was a dream come true - so I thought. Within the first year of teaching at WHS it was evident I didn't feel the gratification I had always imagined. The students and community had changed. Where was the "big blue" pride? In reflection, I was also not equipped to meet the 21st Century skills and needs of this new generation of students.
I have always believed things happen for a reason. In January of 2009 I became pregnant with my first son, Loea. By March 2009, only a few months since beginning my teaching career, I was told budget cuts would prevent the Hawaiian Language program from continuing. Half way through my pregnancy and no job lined up, I accepted that Ke Akua had a plan for me.
In August 2009, just two weeks before I was due to give birth, my calling came. I was offered a tutoring job at Ke Kula Niihau o Kekaha Public Charter School. Though it was only a part-time job, I jumped at the opportunity! Although Ke Kula Niihau o Kekaha was not my alma mater, I had been given the opportunity to share my knowledge and experiences with Niihau children just like myself.
The following year I became a full-time teacher and then greeted my second son, Liloa, in February 2012. I have experienced the growing pains of a new teacher and I truly owe my success to the school, students and community for allowing me the numerous professional development and teacher leadership opportunities. Joining the MSLMED ohana has also added to the success of my career thus far.
Seeing my successes both in and out of the classroom the school offered me the role of director which, although I have much room to learn and grow, I accepted. An opportunity to make a difference at a much larger scale it is the 21st Century Skills and outcomes that I hope to instill in all students, teachers and families alike.
I am most proud of the blended learning classrooms I implemented in SY 13-14. A daily combination of lecturing (at a lesser amount), interactive notebooks and the use of ipads, iphones and laptops allowed my students to grow tremendously in that year.
Technology I used in the classroom:
-ipads, iphones, laptops
-email
-survey monkey
-microsoft office (word, powerpoint, excel)
-prezi
Although I am no longer in the classroom, I have a mission to educate and expose my teachers to as much resources as possible so that they may incorporate them into their classrooms.
Technology I currently use with staff/teachers:
-email
-poll everywhere
-microsoft office (word, powerpoint, excel)
Technology I hope to become versed in and use with all staff/teachers are:
-everything google!
-edmodo
-blogger
-I will also be showing my teachers the youtube video on "what does it mean to teach?"
No comments:
Post a Comment